On Monday, November 11, Kilifi County Assembly Speaker Kadhua Jimmy Kahindi declared the Dabaso Ward MCA seat vacant after the High Court in Malindi nullified the election of ODM's Emmanuel Changawa, citing electoral malpractice.
The petition had been filed by Amani National Congress (ANC) candidate Dickson Karani.
Speaker Kahindi revealed that he wrote a letter to the Independent Electoral Boundaries Commission (IEBC) issuing them a green light to announce a by-election date.
Speaking to Kenyans.co.ke, Changawa expressed confidence that he would clinch the seat in the looming by-election.
The mini poll is expected to trigger heated campaigns as was witnessed in Ganda Ward and Kibra Constituency.
"Let us wait for the date, the seat being declared vacant doesn't mean that I have left the party," he assured.
He asked ODM to consider giving him a direct nomination since he was loyal and had paid his monthly dues to the party religiously.
Apart from the petitioner, Changawa will face opposition from a new party in the region called the Umoja Summit Party of Kenya.
In October, the nature of the campaigns in Ganda took a rather unpleasant path, one that led to the shooting and death of an ODM agent, uncle to incumbent Ganda MCA, Reuben Katana.
In Kibra Constituency, incidents of violence were witnessed as some Jubilee MPs were assaulted in the November 7 by-election.
- Ill-Fated5 July 2020 - 1:01 pm
- busted5 July 2020 - 12:40 pm
- A-Team5 July 2020 - 12:24 pm
- Tragic5 July 2020 - 12:14 pm
- Outsmarted5 July 2020 - 12:10 pm
- latest5 July 2020 - 11:57 am
- Hit Back5 July 2020 - 11:18 am
- gifted5 July 2020 - 10:20 am
- Baptism By Fire5 July 2020 - 10:29 am
- Lucrative5 July 2020 - 9:20 am
- desperate5 July 2020 - 9:06 am
- Overlooked5 July 2020 - 8:59 am