There was a heavy presence of GSU officers at the Milimani Law Courts on the morning of Monday, December 9, during the arraignment of Nairobi Governor Mike Sonko.
According to a video broadcast by KTN News, the team was deployed at the top court as the governor was being escorted into the building at around 8 a.m. the same day.
Director of Public Prosecutions Noordin Haji had earlier ordered for the arrest of the flamboyant governor over allegations of misappropriating over Ksh357 million together with other county officials.
The DPP stated that his order was based on the investigations conducted by the Ethics and Ati Corruption Commission (EACC).
The county head was arrested along the Nairobi-Mombasa highway at a roadblock in Voi on his way to the coastal town - a journey EACC described as an attempt to evade arrest.
A chopper was sent from the DCI headquarters along Kiambu Road to fetch the governor and deliver him to Nairobi so that charges could be filed against him.
The governor, however, gave the police officers a hard time as he resisted boarding the police chopper at the Ikanga Airstrip, forcing the police to handcuff him.
He spent the weekend in jail after Justice John Onyiengo declined to release him on bail.
He is also facing assault charges for allegendly attacking a police officer while on duty as well as two other counts of obstructing lawful arrest and offensive conduct.
- nabbed8 August 2020 - 7:37 am
- Long Wait8 August 2020 - 7:16 am
- new boss in town7 August 2020 - 8:07 pm
- no way7 August 2020 - 6:18 pm
- glued to the screen7 August 2020 - 4:57 pm
- double tragedy7 August 2020 - 4:33 pm
- big strides7 August 2020 - 4:14 pm
- bold7 August 2020 - 5:35 pm
- revolutionary7 August 2020 - 3:31 pm
- World's First7 August 2020 - 3:40 pm
- new beginnings7 August 2020 - 2:23 pm
- only way7 August 2020 - 2:48 pm