President Uhuru Kenyatta continued making strides in Africa after he inaugurated a key project which saw Kenya ranked top five in the 2019 Climatescope Index released by the Bloomberg New Energy Finance (BNEF2019).
On Friday, December 13, Kenyatta gave the green light to the use and access of Garissa Solar Power Farm.
The project fast tracks Kenya's race towards achieving green energy sufficiency.
"President Uhuru Kenyatta inaugurates 50MW Garissa Solar Power Plant in Mbalambala, Garissa County.
"The plant, which is the largest solar energy installation in East and Central Africa, adds to Kenya's rich profile as the epicentre of green energy generation in Africa," a tweet by State House read.
BNEF ranked Kenya at number five, being the highest Kenya has ever attained, beating developed countries like Russia, which only made it to number 66, while Argentina was ranked seventh.
The solar power farm together with the Lake Turkana Wind Power (LTWP) project earned Kenya the top recognition.
The wind power project further reportedly attracted Google which expressed interest in investing in it after it emerged the biggest in Africa.
President Kenyatta, speaking in November 2018, during a roundtable session of the Paris Peace Forum in France, had stated that Kenya was seeking to attain a 100 per cent transition to green energy by 2020.
"Our target is to attain 100 per cent green energy sufficiency by 2020. We will do this while we achieve 100 per cent access to power for our population, and sharply lower costs to industry to aid our manufacturing push,” he proclaimed.
- Power House29 September 2020 - 7:15 am
- blocked29 September 2020 - 7:20 am
- phased reopening28 September 2020 - 7:23 pm
- New Guidelines28 September 2020 - 6:07 pm
- All in28 September 2020 - 5:53 pm
- in hindsight28 September 2020 - 6:17 pm
- updates28 September 2020 - 5:03 pm
- M.I.A28 September 2020 - 4:48 pm
- Nerve-wracking28 September 2020 - 3:15 pm
- Behind Bars28 September 2020 - 2:51 pm
- living large28 September 2020 - 2:30 pm
- Reprieve28 September 2020 - 1:48 pm