Embakasi East MP Babu Owino was arraigned at the Milimani Law Courts on Monday, January 20 after his arrest over the shooting of DJ Evolve at B-Club, Nairobi on Friday, January 17.
The lawmaker pleaded not guilty to the charges leveled against him which include attempted murder, which carries a maximum sentence of life imprisonment.
Justice Francis Andayi ordered that Babu be detained for seven days with the case to be mentioned on Monday, January 27.
Babu was represented by, among others, lawyers Cliff Ombeta and Danstan Omari.
State counsel noted that the prosecution had eye-witnesses who had recorded statements, describing the evidence against Babu as 'strong'.
The prosecution further stated that Babu was not new to the courts as the state expressed confidence of securing a conviction against the lawmaker.
They sought to have him denied bail, arguing that his position in society could not be ignored as he could influence or intimidate witnesses.
Owino's lawyer Ombeta hit back dismissing the claims that Babu would interfere with the case.
"When you want to bring character you cannot do it by just assuming.
"For you to bring forward any allegations of interfering, intimidating or absconding then material has to be brought," he asserted.
Felix Orinda otherwise known as DJ Evolve is recuperating at Nairobi Hospital and is said to be responding well to treatment after undergoing surgery on the night of Friday, January 17.
Ombeta told the court that he had documents confirming his client had paid Sh600,000 to Nairobi Hospital to cover the cost of Evolve's treatment.
He requested that Babu be released on bond noting he had two young children and a wife at home.
- revealed21 January 2021 - 7:56 pm
- healthy eating21 January 2021 - 7:32 pm
- Revealed21 January 2021 - 7:20 pm
- Surge21 January 2021 - 4:36 pm
- Revealed21 January 2021 - 5:35 pm
- relief21 January 2021 - 5:11 pm
- poetic justice21 January 2021 - 4:11 pm
- Power Plays!21 January 2021 - 4:03 pm
- touching21 January 2021 - 3:50 pm
- On the Spot21 January 2021 - 3:03 pm
- ingenious21 January 2021 - 3:34 pm
- Tragic21 January 2021 - 1:36 pm