A 16-year-old Kenyan full-back, George Gitau, has joined the English side Middlesbrough FC, the club confirmed in a statement in its official portal.
Middlesbrough, which currently plays in the EFL Championship, the second-tier of English football after the Premier League, recruited the right-back with previous stints with Arsenal, Crystal Palace and Brighton.
Middlesbrough, in a statement, disclosed that Gitau impressed during trials as they announced he would be joining on an academy scholarship.
"The Under-16 right-back was previously with Crystal Palace, Arsenal, and Brighton.
"Gitau is quick, athletic, and smooth in possession, and he impressed after a trial.
"The youngster will join 12 other young hopefuls next summer on an Academy scholarship at Rockliffe," the club shared on their official website.
Wilkins Ochieng', another Kenyan youngster, had a good week as he signed a professional contract in Belgium with top-flight side Club Brugge.
The Kenya U-17 striker, who was already a part of Brugge's youth set-up, was handed a two-and-half-year contract that could possibly see him make the step-up to the senior side.
"We are glad to be part of this beautiful moment. Congratulations on signing your well deserved 2.5-year professional contract at Club Brugge, Wilkins Ochieng!" his management team J&S IFM tweeted.
Although he did not make an appearance, Ochieng' was included in Kenya's squad for the Union of North African Football Federations U-18 tournament in Egypt.
It was Kenya's first time participating in the competition that was held in Cairo, Egypt between April 4-11, 2019 and was represented by the national U-17 team.
"It is an important development tournament for our youth players to showcase their talent and challenge against some of the continent's best," Football Kenya Federation President Nick Mwendwa stated at the time.
- ImageHeartwarming1 April 2020 - 11:39 am
- ImageWhere are they?1 April 2020 - 11:21 am
- Imagerebuke1 April 2020 - 10:30 am
- Imagebrighter days1 April 2020 - 10:21 am
- Imageexposed1 April 2020 - 9:51 am
- ImageCovid-191 April 2020 - 9:32 am
- Imageunfortunate1 April 2020 - 9:16 am
- Imageheartbreaking1 April 2020 - 8:38 am
- Imagenick of time1 April 2020 - 7:58 am
- ImageMy Take1 April 2020 - 7:33 am
- Imageintervention1 April 2020 - 7:50 am
- Imagesecond chance31 March 2020 - 8:37 pm