Missing NMG Journalist Found Dead

  • Nation Centre Building in Nairobi CBD
    Nation Centre Building in Nairobi CBD captured on Monday, October 21, 2019.
    Simon Kiragu
  • Another Nation Media Group (NMG) journalist was reported dead after a matatu allegedly ran her over, killing her on the spot.

    A report by the Daily Nation on Saturday, March 21, stated that Christine Omulando, a 46-year old sub-editor with The East African was killed on March 16, 2020, at Nairobi's Khoja Mosque roundabout.

    According to the publication, Omulando had been reported missing on Wednesday, March 18, after colleagues and family failed to reach her on phone the previous day.

    She had reported to her work station on Monday, March 16, and left the office for lunch in the afternoon when the unfortunate incident took place.

    A collage photo of NMG journalist Chrisitine Omulando who was killed in a hit-and-run accident in Nairobi.
    A collage photo of NMG journalist Christine Omulando who was killed in a hit-and-run accident in Nairobi.
    Daily Nation

    According to the police, the matatu that rammed into her had veered off the road and hit pedestrians before hurling her to the ground after which a minibus ran over her.

    The publication further announced that traffic police officers on the scene declared her dead on the spot.

    Her body was then taken to the City Mortuary while two other pedestrians are currently nursing injuries at the Kenyatta National Hospital (KNH).

    Daily Nation hailed Omulando as a veteran journalist who had initially worked for the defunct Kenya Times and The Standard newspapers, before joining NMG where she had worked for more than a decade.

    Omulando's death comes barely a month after another journalist working for the media house was killed in a hit and run incident right outside Nation Centre.

    Raphael Nzioki, a video editor with NTV was knocked down by a vehicle as he crossed Kenyatta Avenue/Kimathi Street junction a few minutes to 1.30 a.m.

    The driver who hit Nzioki is alleged to have sped off and left his lifeless body on the road.

    Police officers on Tuesday, March 10, managed to trace the owner of the matatu that caused the fatal incident and promised to take action on the culprit.