The Higher Education Loans Board (HELB) announced that applications were open for the second and subsequent Undergraduate Loan 2020-2021 financial year.
The institution invited applications from Kenyan students admitted in government-sponsored or self-sponsored programs in public and private universities in Kenya and the East African Community that are recognised by the commission for University Education (CUE).
Speaking to Kenyans.co.ke, the HELB CEO Charles Ringera explained that applying for the loan had been made easier with the adoption of the HELB mobile app.An announcement by HELB on the second and subsequent Undergraduate Loan application for the 2020-2021 financial year.
"After applying for the first time, in the following year, you need to show that you still need the loan. We don't assume that you automatically need it. The subsequent application is brief where you basically tell us you still need the loan.
"For the very first time, this subsequent loan application is now going to be done seamlessly on the HELB Mobile App, therefore, no need to submit physical hard copy documents at HELB Offices," he disclosed.
Ringera further explained that the terms and conditions apply where one has to confirm that they are still in session and have not dropped out adding that the amount given for the first time is the same that shall be allocated in the subsequent year.
"In the event, one needs the amount to be reviewed loan review requests must be applied for through a loan appeal form which is available after loan allocations and payments are done which would be later in the year (from October). This is usually announced on our platforms," the HELB boss conveyed.File image of HELB contact centre
Those eligible for the loans are:
Recent beneficiaries of the undergraduate loan
Students placed by the Kenya Universities and Colleges Placement Service (KUCCPS) in the local and private universities.
Bachelor's degree Self-sponsored, Parallel and Module II students
The Procedure for application
Download the HELB APP
Register your details
Read the notes
Select the loan application form
Fill in the details and submit
The mobile number verification fee is Ksh 1 payable via M-Pesa. Airtel and Telkom subscribers will be redirected to the student portal.
Applicants are advised to be cautious not to provide incorrect details that may lead to misdirected funds or non-disbursement.
The deadline for application is June 30, 2020.
Ringera explained that after the deadline, the body would process the loan applications for what was traditionally the September semester. "Opening dates (and therefore loan disbursement) will, of course, be dependent on when Learning Institutions will reopen post-Covid-19," he added.
Subsequent Loan Applications for TVET and Afya Elimu will be announced in due course.
Some Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):
1. I never applied for the First-time Undergraduate application; Can I apply for a subsequent loan through the App?
No. Only applicants who had applied for undergraduate first-time application in the recent three years are eligible to apply for the subsequent loan.
2. My institution details are not correct. How do I edit?
Go to my account on the HELB App then click on Institution, then click on edit.
3. Do I need to submit the physical loan application after I complete the application through mobile app?
No. You do not need to submit the physical form. Application through the mobile app is enough.
4. What if I change my mobile handset after initial registration?
Contact HELB Contact Center on 0711052000 or email@example.com to reset your details
5. How much does it cost me to do the application?
The application is free. However, you will be charged Kshs1 through MPesa to authenticate your phone number. The amount will be deposited into your loan repayment account.
6. I do not have an android or a smartphone, how do I apply?
Dial *642# to apply
7. I used a wrong pin number and now my app is blocked how can I access the app?
Click on the reset pin to enter a new pin and confirm it.A screenshot of the HELB website with the contact information
For more queries, applicants are advised to visit the Helb website: www.helb.co.ke
Facebook & Twitter: @HELBpage
- Power House29 September 2020 - 7:15 am
- blocked29 September 2020 - 7:20 am
- phased reopening28 September 2020 - 7:23 pm
- New Guidelines28 September 2020 - 6:07 pm
- All in28 September 2020 - 5:53 pm
- in hindsight28 September 2020 - 6:17 pm
- updates28 September 2020 - 5:03 pm
- M.I.A28 September 2020 - 4:48 pm
- Nerve-wracking28 September 2020 - 3:15 pm
- Behind Bars28 September 2020 - 2:51 pm
- living large28 September 2020 - 2:30 pm
- Reprieve28 September 2020 - 1:48 pm