The Higher Education Loans Board (HELB) on Monday, July 20, officially opened applications for undergraduate first-time loan applicants for 2020/2021.
The loans are applicable to students looking to fund their higher education in Kenyan institutions.
In this article, we shall take you through what you need:
Helb Loan applications for 2020/2021 undergraduate and first-time applications.
- Eligibility criteria
- Requirements for application
- Loan amount and other terms
- Registration on the helb portal
- How to apply for the loans
- How to appeal after loan amount.
- Frequently asked questions
- Helb Contacts
Eligibility for Undergraduate First Time Application FY 2020/2021
There are two catergories who are eligibile to apply for the loan.
1) Students placed by the Kenya Universities and Colleges Placement Services (KUCCPS) in the local public and private universities.
2) Self-sponsored, parallel and Module II students studying for a bachelor's degree only.
Note that Certificate, Diploma, Pre-University and Postgraduate students are not eligible for this product
Requirements when applying
A copy of the Applicant’s national ID Card
Copies of the parents national ID Cards/death certificate where the parent is deceased
Copies of both guarantors’ national ID Card
A copy of the applicant’s admission letter and KCSE result slip/certificate
A copy of the applicant’s Bank ATM/Bank card (for Government sponsored students only)
A copy of the applicant’s Smart Card from the institution
One recent colored passport size photograph of the applicant.
The Loan Amount and how it is distributed
According to the Loans board, the amount awarded ranges from a minimum of Ksh35,000 and a maximum of Ksh60,000.
For those placed by Kenya University and Colleges Central Placement Service (KUCCPS), the loan amount is split to cater for both Tuition fee and Upkeep while for self-sponsored the entire amount is sent to the University for tuition as one payment once a year in January.
A standard amount of Ksh4,000 for Government sponsored students only is deducted from the loan awarded and disbursed to the university per semester for tuition (total Ksh8, 000) and the rest is sent to the applicant’s bank account as upkeep.
An Administrative Fee of Ksh500 per year is charged on the loan awarded and it is therefore deducted from the disbursed loan.How the HELB Loan is disbursed.HELB
A limited number of needy government sponsored students receive bursary of between Ksh4,000 and Ksh8,000 per year which is paid directly to the university.
Register for an account on the HELB Website
Go to the HELB Website
Create an account using your personal mobile number and email address.
Activate the account and you will be able to access the service.
In the event you Forgot your Password - Use the “forgot password” option available on the portal to recover your account
How to apply for Undergraduate First Time Application FY 2020/2021
1. Applicants should visit the HELB website and acess the Student Portal to register, createand activate account (Ensure you use your personal mobile number).
2. Log in and select the 2020-2021 Undergraduate First Time Loan Apllication Form (LAF)
3. Read and appraise oneself online on Financial literacy
4. Access and fill the loan application form you will be required to fill in your personal details, education, university, parents, family expenses, guarantors, and Bank details
5. Print two copies of the duly filled loan application form. Ensure your preview the form and correct where necessary before you submit for printing.
6.Have the forms appropriately filled, signed and stamped by the relevant authorities.
7. Read, understand and sign to accept the loan terms and conditions and data protection consent form.
Submitting your documents
You can submit your application in three ways.
1) Present one copy of the duly filled loan application form and all the attached support documents at: any of the following Huduma Centres nearest you: Nairobi- GPO, Machakos, Mombasa, Nakuru, eldoret, Kisumu, Kakamega, Kisii, Nyeri, Embu, Kitui, Bungoma, Lodwar, Meru, Thika Kitale, Kericho, Nandi, Murang'a, Garissa, Narok, Migori, Chuka, Kilifi and Taita Taveta, West Pokot, Bomet and Makueni for free and secure delivery.
2) Go to the HELB Student Service Centre on Mezzanine 1, Anniversary Towers, University Way, Nairobi
3) Send through registered and secured mail or courier.
It is mandatory that you retain a copy of the duly filled and signed Loan Application Form.
Applicants are cautioned against providing incorrect details that may lead to misdirected funds or non-disbursement.
The closing date for the loan application is December 31, 2020.HELB Contact Centre in Nairobi.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. What is the applicable interest rate and when does it start to accrue?
The interest is currently 4% per annum for direct entry students and 12% for all salaried applicants. The interest will start to accrue immediately after the first disbursement
2. Am I eligible for a loan in 2nd year if I did not apply in 1st year?
Yes you are. However one will be required to apply as a first time applicant during the first time applications window
3. What if I was awarded a loan but it is not enough, can I request for additional funds
Yes, if you have a genuine need for additional funds, you can appeal amounts awarded to you by completing the loan review (appeal) form on www.helb.co.ke
4. If I discontinue my education, do I have to pay amount awarded to me even if I didn’t complete my education?
Yes, once you are awarded a HELB loan, you will be required to fully repay the amount in accordance with the terms & conditions as well as the interest accrued thereafter and penalties incurred (if any).
For more queries, applicants are advised to visit the Helb website: www.helb.co.ke
- Blow14 June 2021 - 8:24 am
- Playing Field13 June 2021 - 8:29 pm
- Taking Notes13 June 2021 - 7:43 pm
- Get Them Out13 June 2021 - 6:16 pm
- Reprieve13 June 2021 - 5:53 pm
- Ballot ready13 June 2021 - 6:00 pm
- Sudden13 June 2021 - 4:27 pm
- Now you know13 June 2021 - 4:42 pm
- Mercy13 June 2021 - 5:10 pm
- Revealed13 June 2021 - 4:49 pm
- Not Acceptable13 June 2021 - 1:43 pm
- Kisumu Beauty13 June 2021 - 1:28 pm