The battle to replace former Nairobi County Assembly Speaker Beatrice Elachi has come down to seven candidates, among them former Makadara MP Benson Mutura and a former student leader Allan Chacha.
Sources have intimated that Mutura was selected as the Jubilee Party's preferred candidate in a meeting on Thursday, August 13, but MCAs will have the last say when they vote on Friday, August 14.
Mutura took over as Makadara MP from Nairobi Governor Mike Sonko in 2013 when he became the senator.Former Makadara MP Benson Mutura
However he olny served for one term after which ODM's George Aladwa won the seat in 2017.
Mutura was a member of the National Assembly Departmental Committee on Justice And Legal Affairs.
In 2017, during Jubilee nominations, he was accused of inciting voters at a polling station in Buruburu, after which police intervened to quell the chaos.
Just recently, Mutura lost a case in which he tried to stop Lap Fund - a Defined Contribution (DC) Retirement Benefits Scheme catering for employees of County Governments among others - from taking over Mariakaini Estates in South B.
Allan Chacha on the other hand is a budding politician who is a law graduate.
The 27-year-old served as the former chair of the Mt Kenya University Students Association.
During his tenure, the university established a studio for journalism students to practise.
Unlike other student leaders who have become known for being abbrassive and contoversial, Chacha prides himself in being a 'sober leader'. He is also a critic of Embakasi East MP Babu Owino.
Other contestants who have applied to replace Elachi include former Nairobi Assembly County Speaker Alex Magelo, Abdi Ali Abdi, former chief officer Odingo Odhiambo Washington, former MCA Mike Obonyo Guoro, and Kennedy Okeyo Ng’ondi.Former chair of the Mt Kenya University Students Association Allan ChachaFile
- bravo!23 September 2020 - 7:59 pm
- turf wars23 September 2020 - 7:56 pm
- Baba Speaks23 September 2020 - 7:16 pm
- be warned23 September 2020 - 7:01 pm
- changes23 September 2020 - 6:44 pm
- road carnage23 September 2020 - 6:37 pm
- please23 September 2020 - 5:43 pm
- Pay Up23 September 2020 - 4:31 pm
- man of many firsts23 September 2020 - 4:57 pm
- disaster averted23 September 2020 - 4:21 pm
- Ruto's Reaction23 September 2020 - 3:56 pm
- Another one23 September 2020 - 3:28 pm