On Thursday night, November 26, 21 passengers who were headed to Dubai were arrested at the Jomo Kenyatta International Airport (JKIA) after they provided the airport authorities with fake Covid-19.
The 21 were arrested following an impromptu inspection by port health officials from the Ministry of Health.
During the inspection, some of the passengers were also intercepted for having fake yellow fever certificates.Stranded passengers at the Jomo Kenyatta International Airport (JKIA) on Thursday night, November 26.Citizen Digital
According to reports, 100 passengers on a recent flight from Kenya to Dubai presented Covid-19 negative certificates upon arriving in UAE.
However, 50 of them tested positive for the virus when they were tested at Dubai International airport.
The inspection came days after the United Arab Emirates issued a visa ban to 13 countries including Kenya.
According to the UAE Foreign Affairs Ministry, the directive was given to curb the rise of the second wave of the Covid-19 pandemic.
In a document seen by Reuters, the country stated that applications for new employment and visit visas were suspended until further notice for nationals outside the UAE from countries including Afghanistan, Libya, and Yemen.
Other countries involved in the ban included; Algeria, Iraq, Lebanon, Pakistan, Tunisia, Iran, Turkey, Syria and Somalia.
The decision was not, however, clear on how many categories of visas, either business, tourist, transit or student, would be affected by the suspension.
The Foreign Affairs office however noted that the suspension would not apply on already issued visas.A deserted section of the Jomo Kenyatta International Airport on Sunday, March 15, 2020.
- On the Spot19 January 2021 - 7:59 pm
- Not Here19 January 2021 - 7:15 pm
- Covid-19 Update19 January 2021 - 6:45 pm
- healthcare boost19 January 2021 - 6:19 pm
- new beginnings19 January 2021 - 5:57 pm
- Backlash19 January 2021 - 6:12 pm
- behind bars19 January 2021 - 5:20 pm
- trouble19 January 2021 - 4:42 pm
- On the Spot19 January 2021 - 4:41 pm
- kind hearted19 January 2021 - 3:59 pm
- Relentless19 January 2021 - 3:00 pm
- Beware19 January 2021 - 3:18 pm