- Simon KiraguKenyans.co.ke
Health CAS Mercy Mwangangi on Wednesday, January 6, stated that children would not be vaccinated against Covid-19, once it was available in the country in February.
Speaking during a meeting with editors to expound on school reopening, the CAS stated that clinical vaccine trials on children had not yet been finalised.
Mwangangi added that teachers would be among the frontline workers who would receive the Covid-19 vaccines.Education Cabinet Secretary George Magoha assesses Grade 3 learning at Joy Town Special School in Thika in September 2019File
Other frontline workers who would receive the vaccine include; health care workers, police and the military as they are at a high risk of contracting the virus.
Groups of people who come into contact with crowds and those with two or more medical conditions will also be the first to be vaccinated against Covid-19.
Mwangangi also stated that the Ministry was working closely with schools to have a chronic condition database.
"We have children who have bronchitis, sickle cell anaemia, kidney issues, diabetes. We have been able to engage with our schools to have a chronic condition registry of children," she stated.
The CAS also urged parents to take responsibility so as to effectively curb the spread of Covid-19 in schools.
During the meeting, Education CS George Magoha announced that the media had been banned journalists from visiting schools.
He argued that the ministry was restricting unnecessary movements ahead of candidates sitting national exams.Education CS George Magoha addresses journalists in Nairobi on Wednesday, January 6, 2021
- Listen Up24 January 2021 - 7:17 pm
- gridlock24 January 2021 - 6:10 pm
- Surge24 January 2021 - 4:35 pm
- expensive24 January 2021 - 5:02 pm
- Unfortunate24 January 2021 - 4:29 pm
- investing24 January 2021 - 5:28 pm
- Worrying24 January 2021 - 4:13 pm
- Not This Time24 January 2021 - 2:25 pm
- well-paying24 January 2021 - 2:41 pm
- Chaos24 January 2021 - 2:19 pm
- On the Spot24 January 2021 - 12:35 pm
- New Direction24 January 2021 - 1:02 pm