Passengers aboard a Nanyuki-bound train were left in a state of panic and frustration after it stalled mid-journey for five and a half hours on Friday night, January 15.
The train is said to have developed mechanical problems, before stalling at a remote ravine in Nyeri County.
"This started as an amazing train journey to Nanyuki but 12 hours later, Nanyuki is nowhere in site."Passengers were forced to walk after a train derailed on January 15, 2021.
"We have been stuck at some ravine in Nyeri County for the last 5 and half hours after the train engine failed," Kev Mwenda wrote on Twitter.
Kenya Railways previously announced that it would double the number of trains from Nanyuki to Nairobi to cater for the high demand for passenger service on the route.
It is not the first time that the locomotive has stalled and left commuters stranded.
A train ferrying students from Nairobi County to Nanyuki arrived late in the evening leaving hundreds of commuters stranded on Monday, January 4, when students were reopening.
The stalling disoriented most of the students who arrived late to their schools.
A commuter train heading to the Nairobi Central Business District (CBD) was on Friday, January 15, stranded when the locomotive derailed while on transit.
The incident occurred when the wheels of the last coach of a train on the Athi River route went off the tracks forcing it to stop.
Passengers were forced to walk to catch another train as others sourced for alternative means to get to their destinations.A train in the revamped Nairobi Commuter Rail systemKenya Railways
- hotspot22 September 2021 - 7:48 pm
- Tragic22 September 2021 - 7:39 pm
- COMMUNITY ACT22 September 2021 - 7:00 pm
- GOODBYE22 September 2021 - 7:15 pm
- Take Note22 September 2021 - 6:10 pm
- HISTORIC22 September 2021 - 6:07 pm
- New Sightings22 September 2021 - 5:13 pm
- FETED22 September 2021 - 4:49 pm
- Presidential Assignment22 September 2021 - 4:45 pm
- SCHOLARSHIPS22 September 2021 - 3:50 pm
- accident22 September 2021 - 3:50 pm
- Revealed22 September 2021 - 3:06 pm