A military chopper with passengers on board has crashed and burst into flames in Kajiado County on Thursday, June 24, leaving 10 soldiers dead and 13 others injured.
According to a statement by the Kenya Defense Forces (KDF), the plane is an Mi 171e Air Force Helicopter and crashed at around 9 am.
"It was on a training mission and crash-landed at the Ol Tepesi area in Ngong, Kajiado County. Rescue missions are underway," reads the statement in part.
KDF added that all passengers on board the plane had been accounted for and moved to safety.
"The injured were airlifted and are at the Defense Forces Memorial Hospital, Nairobi.
"Regrettably, following the crash, we suffered fatalities. The process of communicating with the families to relay the information and KDF condolences are underway," reads the statement in part.
KDF did not, however, reveal the number of passengers who had succumbed to the injuries.
Aircraft accident investigators are at the crash site to establish the cause of the accident.
The accident took place just days after a plane headed to Nairobi from Ukunda crashed at the Tsavo East National Park.
The pilot tried to make an emergency landing after the plane developed mechanical challenges mid-air.
The police reported that two of the plane occupants escaped unhurt.A Police Officer and an Unidentified On-Looker Watch as Two Survivors Salvage Items From the Crashed Aircraftdead accident fatal crash
- New Beginnings28 September 2021 - 7:52 pm
- Solving Case28 September 2021 - 7:40 pm
- Wealth28 September 2021 - 7:15 pm
- Blow28 September 2021 - 7:26 pm
- Merger28 September 2021 - 7:21 pm
- Step In28 September 2021 - 6:50 pm
- WIN FOR KENYA28 September 2021 - 7:15 pm
- Barred28 September 2021 - 6:33 pm
- Inaccessible28 September 2021 - 6:55 pm
- sad28 September 2021 - 5:24 pm
- Climbing the Mountain28 September 2021 - 5:39 pm
- Heated28 September 2021 - 3:59 pm