A woman who faked pregnancy and attempted to enter the Kenyatta National Hospital (KNH) maternity wing on Friday, September 24, has been arrested.
The accused, Elizabeth Musembi, tried to gain access to the maternity wing before security officers landed on her on suspicion that she wanted to steal a baby.
Speaking to the media, Musembi disclosed that she was desperate to get a baby after years of unsuccessfully trying to conceive.Kenyatta National Hospital.File
"A pregnant woman approached me and said she would carry her baby to term, then deliver and give it to me. However, when her due date neared, she disappeared.
"My aim of going to KNH was not to steal a baby but to look for a baby that had been deserted by the mother," she defended herself.
Kilimani OCPD Andrew Muturi believes that Musembi would have stolen a baby hadn't the security officers not raised an alarm.
"We are taking her for some medical tests and we are going to determine the offense she will be charged with," Muturi said.
Musembi is currently detained at the Kilimani Police Station as she awaits to be arraigned on Monday.
According to a 2019 report by the National Crime and Research Centre, close to 30 cases of missing children are reported every day in Kenya.
Families battle with thoughts of whether their loved ones are alive or dead.
The prevalence is said to be fueled by high value that the African society places on children.An undated image of Kilimani Police Station in Nairobi.The Standarddead steal stolen arrest
- Inheritance19 May 2022 - 7:29 pm
- Clap back19 May 2022 - 6:44 pm
- Dangerous19 May 2022 - 6:02 pm
- Education Trouble19 May 2022 - 5:24 pm
- Risky19 May 2022 - 5:16 pm
- Cracks19 May 2022 - 4:35 pm
- Saviour19 May 2022 - 3:29 pm
- Expansion19 May 2022 - 2:59 pm
- Freedom19 May 2022 - 2:37 pm
- Embattled19 May 2022 - 2:04 pm
- Get Paid19 May 2022 - 2:12 pm
- Responds19 May 2022 - 1:57 pm