- Simon KiraguKenyans.co.ke
There was drama at the Milimani Law Courts after the former Director of Operations at the Kenya Police Service John Edward Njeru punched a city lawyer during a heated cross-examination session on Monday, September 27.
The 69-year-old was seemingly upset by the number of questions that lawyer Alex Kimani was asking during cross-examination and responded by landing a heavy blow to the advocate's abdomen.
This happened after the lawyer had petitioned the court to permit him to approach the retired police boss in order to have him take a closer look at some documents.Undated file image of a gavel on the bench in the courtroomKenyans.co.ke
Upon nearing the complainant, Njeru took the opportunity to assault the lawyer who is now suffering from serious injuries after the incident.
After the ordeal, the court handed the witness a one-day jail term while the lawyer was rushed to the hospital for medical assistance.
"After yesterday's incident, my colleague (Kimani) developed a sharp pain in his abdomen. He visited the hospital and was advised by the doctor to undergo a scan this morning to ascertain the cause of the pain," lawyer Waweru Benson elaborated to Principal Magistrate Bernard Ochoi on Tuesday.
Waweru further explained that this was not the first time that Njeru had disrespected the court as he has made derogatory remarks to a prosecutor in the past.
In light of these facts, the magistrate advised Kimani to report the incident to the police and further faulted the act.
The retiree is a complainant in a fraud case involving a forged certificate of lease for a piece of land in Nanyuki.Police officers and citizens pictured outside Kasarani Police Station.File
- tragic24 October 2021 - 5:41 pm
- details24 October 2021 - 6:13 pm
- Victory24 October 2021 - 4:14 pm
- details24 October 2021 - 3:54 pm
- HUNTED24 October 2021 - 5:11 pm
- ARRESTED24 October 2021 - 2:53 pm
- HEART DESIRE24 October 2021 - 3:25 pm
- Tragic24 October 2021 - 3:54 pm
- shots fired24 October 2021 - 1:29 pm
- Called Off24 October 2021 - 1:17 pm
- OPPORTUNITIES24 October 2021 - 2:56 pm
- At crossroads24 October 2021 - 1:24 pm