7 Die From Illicit Brew in Thika
Thika residents in Kiambu have been left shocked and in mourning after seven people died and five others were admitted at Thika Level Five Hospital after they consumed illicit brew.
In what seems like no regard for past mistakes, 30 people, including women, are said to have taken the eight cartons which were in circulation in most shops in Thika.
Survivors told Citizen Digital that they got the drinks from friends who had collected it and packaged it in different brand bottles.
Most claimed to have started feeling dizzy, developed stomachaches, headaches and loss of appetite after consuming the alcohol.
Others reportedly lost their sight after partaking in the drink.
Boda boda operators had been seen selling brands under the names of Napoleon, Blue Ice and Meakins at a throw away price.
According to The Standard most of the casualties are from Kiandutu slums.
Officials say the unfortunate incident comes even as the crackdown on illicit brew was intensified in the area.
Sadly it is not the first time such a case has hit the headlines.
Several people died last year after consuming illicit liquor.
Here is a video report by NTV
- 14 November 2019 - 8:06 pm
- 14 November 2019 - 7:41 pm
- 14 November 2019 - 7:54 pm
- 14 November 2019 - 7:49 pm
- 14 November 2019 - 9:03 pm
- 14 November 2019 - 9:16 pm
- 14 November 2019 - 5:59 pm
- 14 November 2019 - 5:44 pm
- 14 November 2019 - 3:52 pm
- 14 November 2019 - 4:06 pm
- 14 November 2019 - 3:57 pm
- 14 November 2019 - 3:13 pm