The use of drones in content creation and videography has increased in recent years.
Drones are also used in various fields like medicine, agriculture, military, wildlife conservation and surveillance.
Many Kenyans also fly drones as a hobby or sport.
Whether you are buying a drone for personal use or professional use, there are stipulated laws you must abide by.File image of a droneFile
Being considered unmanned aircraft, drone purchase and operations are regulated by the government through Kenya Civil and Aviation Authority (KCAA).
Every drone must be registered through KCAA, and only Kenyan citizens can apply for registration. Foreigners can only rent drones from local owners.
For registration, the following documents are required: Identification documents, a police clearance certificate, company registration, photo of the drone and its circuit diagram.
Once your drone is registered, you ought to apply for a flying permit from KCAA.
The following documents are needed to apply for permits; an identification document, a clear picture of the drone’s serial number and safety documentation containing emergency procedures in case of failure.
If you plan to use the drone for commercial purposes, you require a pilot to obtain a Remote Aircraft Operator's Certificate (ROC) from the Authority.
Pilots are prohibited from flying drones above 400 feet or within 164 feet (50 meters) of any person, vessel, or vehicle that is not part of the operation.
The drones are also barred in high-level security areas where photography is prohibited. These areas include State House and all state lodges, police stations, military barracks and diplomatic premises.File image of a droneFile
- Freedom1 February 2023 - 3:41 pm
- Profile1 February 2023 - 4:15 pm
- On the spot1 February 2023 - 2:55 pm
- Moment's Notice1 February 2023 - 2:41 pm
- Explained1 February 2023 - 3:35 pm
- DETAILS1 February 2023 - 3:53 pm
- DIY1 February 2023 - 2:53 pm
- CONGRATULATIONS1 February 2023 - 2:50 pm
- Justice1 February 2023 - 2:23 pm
- Explained1 February 2023 - 2:40 pm
- Alarming1 February 2023 - 2:13 pm
- AWESOME1 February 2023 - 2:14 pm