In 2022, Kenyans reportedly liked more local content on online platforms.
This is according to a report released by YouTube on Friday, December 2, highlighting the top 10 content creators who were at the top of the curve in 2022.
The content ranged from the General Election, comedies, music, religion, and real-life talk shows.
"The lists show locally created content that celebrates different ways of life of Kenyans within their localities and workplaces registered the highest viewership among Kenyans," read the report in parts.A collage of content creators Samuel Oluwafemi Asubiojo alias SamSpedy (left) and Mungai Eve (right)
Some of the top creators include 9 from Kenya and one from Nigeria.
At the top of the list was Thee Pluto Show by Robert Ndegwa, followed by Pastor Ezekiel Odero's New Life TV Kenya.
In third and fourth place respectively was content on real-life experiences by Lynn Ngugi and Mungai Eve.
Others in the top ten were Nicholas Kioko, Churchill Television, Jackie Matubia, Comrade's Flavour, TT Comedian, and SamSpedy, a Nigerian Comedian, respectively.
On the other hand, the most watched video was songwriter-artist Zuchu’s performance at a local secondary school in Tanzania.
Notably, NTV's live coverage of William Ruto being declared president and other news of the August 9 General Elections were among the most-watched videos in 2022.
From the pool of Kenyan content creators, actress Jackie Matubia's YouTube channel registered the highest number of new subscriptions. She was also ranked as the top breakout content creator.
Others were, 2mbili Tv, Obinna TV, Okumba Junior, Aicy Stevens & Nick Kwach, Austin Muigai, Ariane Dashian, Hunch show, NichLmao, and I am Kabugi.YouTube logo displayed on a laptop screen
- Relief6 February 2023 - 8:27 pm
- Golden Boy6 February 2023 - 7:20 pm
- Relief6 February 2023 - 7:45 pm
- Heart Breaking6 February 2023 - 6:59 pm
- First punch6 February 2023 - 6:12 pm
- NEW DEVELOPMENTS6 February 2023 - 4:48 pm
- FREEDOM6 February 2023 - 4:00 pm
- Education6 February 2023 - 5:42 pm
- New entrant6 February 2023 - 3:59 pm
- Crime6 February 2023 - 5:21 pm
- CHANGING TIMES6 February 2023 - 3:16 pm
- On the spot6 February 2023 - 2:40 pm