Treasury Cabinet Secretary (CS) Njuguna Ndung'u has gazetted a digital payment platform for all government services.
The program includes an online portal as well as Paybill and USSD code that will streamline the payment process in various government ministries and state agencies.
Prof Ndung'u, a former Governor of the Central Bank of Kenya (CBK) made the announcement through a Gazette Notice Vol. CXXIV—No. 287 dated December 30, 2022.
“Government of the Republic of Kenya has developed the eCitizen.go.ke Digital Payments Platform through which citizens and all persons will be able to pay for government services,” the notice read in part.
“This Digital Payments platform is integrated with all available electronic payment platforms in Kenya, including mobile money telephone payment services,” the notice read further.
According to the notice, the new payment plan will provide the widest possible access to government services as well as advance the principle of openness and accountability.
eCitizen(dot)go(dot)ke online portal is fully owned and operated by the Kenyan government and uses National Identity Card as the unique identifier for individuals making payments.
Kenyans can also use: Pay Bill Number 222 222; Short Code Number 222; or USSD Number 2222.
The government has listed services that have been made available on the platform. They include the following;
- Application or replacement of passports through the Directorate of Immigration Services.
- Registration of new businesses.
- Services offered by the Directorate of Criminal Investigations.
- Applications intended for the Office of the Attorney General.
- Services offered by National Transport and Safety Authority.
- New and old applications from Civil Registration Department.
- Mining licenses and permits from the Ministry of Mining.
- Office of the Registrar of Political Parties.
- Ministry of Lands and Physical Planning.
- Higher Education Loans Board services.
- The Kenya Revenue Authority service portal.
- National Construction Authority.
- Licenses and permits from National Environment Management Authority.
- Kenya National Qualifications Authority
- National Youth Council.
- Registrar of Societies.
The portal also offers a payment program for select counties in Kenya.
- County Government of Mombasa.
- County Government of Kisumu.
- County Government of Nyeri.