Kenya Railways Corporation on Tuesday, January 24, announced plans to scrap cash payment for the Standard Guage Railway (SGR) train tickets.
In a public notice, the corporation noted that its operations for the Madaraka Express would fully be cashless beginning February 1, 2023.
As an alternative, Kenya Railways announced new modes of payment including mobile money, debit cards and credit cards.An image of a phone user inserting a pin on their mobile phone.File
"We will no longer be accepting cash for the purchase of tickets at all Madaraka Express Passenger Service stations.
"Customers are therefore advised to use mobile money or debit/credit cards at all points of service. We thank you for your continued support," read the notice in part.
According to Kenya Railways, bookings can also be done through the USSD code *639# or through the online ticketing platform on the Kenya Railways website.
However, the changes announced by the corporation did not sit well with a section of Kenyans who lamented over the extra cost that would be incurred in the process.
"With the current transaction costs! They should have left the cash method too," Oscar Owino opined.
Nonetheless, others supported the move noting that it would help streamline the train services.
"This is a good move," Raphael Biketi commented on Twitter.
The changes came just days after Kenya Railways announced that the SGR trains (Madaraka Express) would make a stopover at the Voi station.
"The 1500 hours Madaraka Express Passenger Service train will now make a stopover at Voi Station effective February 1. Passengers from the Mombasa and Nairobi Termini can board and alight the train at the Voi station," KR announced then.An image of the Voi Railway station.Kenya Railways
- Justice1 February 2023 - 2:23 pm
- Alarming1 February 2023 - 2:13 pm
- AWESOME1 February 2023 - 2:14 pm
- Remarkable1 February 2023 - 1:54 pm
- LIMITATION1 February 2023 - 2:08 pm
- EXPLAINED1 February 2023 - 12:55 pm
- Revealed1 February 2023 - 12:59 pm
- Good tidings1 February 2023 - 12:30 pm
- Explained1 February 2023 - 11:57 am
- Remarkable1 February 2023 - 11:40 am
- movements1 February 2023 - 10:54 am
- CLARIFICATION.1 February 2023 - 11:39 am