News that former Cabinet Secretary (CS) Fred Matiang'i's Karen home was under siege by police officers hit the headlines on the night of Wednesday, February 8.
As the country processed the details, Kenyans were quickly divided about the alleged raid and if in fact, it took place.
Kenyans.co.ke, spoke to security analyst George Musamali to break down four inconsistencies in the narrative given by those close to the former CS gave on the account.
Evidence of the raid
Kenyans raised questions on whether the raid took place. When the news first broke, only Citizen TV was present on the ground but no police presence was captured in the footage.
In addition, until the time of publishing this article, no CCTV from Matiang'i's residence was availed to prove the raid. Musamali explained that this only meant two things.
"Either the alleged raid did not take place or, when the alarm was raised by Matiang'i, someone tipped of the police and the operation was halted midway," he explained.
Who conducted the raid?
It still remains unclear who conducted the raid with fingers pointing at the National Police Service (NPS) and the Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission (EACC).
Both the Interior Cabinet Secretary, Inspector General Japhet Koome, EACC CEO Twalib Mubarak and the Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions (ODPP) denied responsibility. However, Musumali explained the response by the different agencies.
"The IG could be telling the truth but even if the police conducted it, admitting it would only be counterproductive as it would paint the government in a bad light," he said
However, the former police officer noted that Koome could have been oblivious to the orders to raid Matiang'i's home.
"There's a possibility that an officer junior to him must have ordered the raid without his knowledge. The directive could have come from a higher office and the police boss is always left aside," Musamali explained.
The intent of the Police Seige
Preliminary reports differed, with one indicating that the police raided the residence and another pointing out that they had surrounded the former CS's home.
However, his lawyers told the court that Matiang'i had received a tip-off by officers who claimed they had been sent to arbitrarily arrest him and drag him to court
In addition, lawyer Danstan Omari, revealed that President Uhuru had tipped off all former CSs to obtain anticipatory bail ahead of the invasion. However, that was among their requests to the court today.
Musamali maintained that if the officers intended to arrest the former CS, then he would have been in custody.
Who benefits from the claims?
The security expert explained that the raid could have actually happened on state orders or was stage-managed by the opposition.
He termed it as a well-calculated propaganda campaign orchestrated by either side of the political divide, linking it to the times of the French emperor, Napoleon.
"There is someone trying to paint the government in a bad light. Amid the country's current political situation, it could be the match that ignites the masses against the state.
"On the flip side, the government could use it to test the waters or use it as a reason going forward to firmly deal with the opposition," Musamali explained.