Deputy President (DP) William Ruto has thanked Kenyans for their prayers after the International Criminal Court (ICC) Appeal Chamber rejected Prosecution's bid to use recanted evidence in his case and radio journalist Joshua Sang.
Addressing his supporters at Toroso in Mount Elgon Constituency, a delighted Ruto thanked millions of Kenyans who stood by him terming the ruling a landmark.
“I am happy because we can see God answering our prayers for a united and peaceful Kenya. I want to thank the millions of Kenyans who prayed for Sang and I," said Ruto.
Ruto further said that it was time for the cases against him and journalist Joshua Sang to be concluded since Kenyans had already reconciled and moved on.
“We were hopeful that the judges will not use the rule retrogressively on the Kenyan cases. What you saw happening on Friday is a big step that will see us set free. We know the country has undergone healing and we are trying to unite all Kenyans,” he added.
On Friday, the ICC Appeals Chamber rejected the use of recorded evidence by five witnesses who had already withdrawn from the case.
The decision greatly dents Prosecutor Fatou Bensouda’s charges against the two given that she had already admitted to having a weak case without the evidence.
The ruling which was eargely waited by Ruto's supporters, was warmly welcomed as they flocked in entertainment joints to celebrate the huge victory.
Read Also: ICC Rejects Recanted Evidence Against Ruto