How Duale, Murkomen Were involved in NYS Scandal - Waiguru

  • Former Cabinet Secretary for Devolution and Planning Anne Waiguru on Tuesday revealed shocking details, in an affidavit she filed at the High Court concerning the Sh791 Million corruption scandal at the National Youth Service (NYS).

    Waiguru mentions Majority Leader Aden Duale, Elgeyo Marakwet Senator Kipchumba Murkomen and Deputy President's personal assistant Faouk Kibet, as persons who were invovled in the infamous scandal.

    In the affidavit, she indicates that Duale texted former NYS Deputy Director General Adan Harakhe during investigations into the dubious deals, reminding him that he needed political support from United Republican Party (URP) leaders from his region.

    “The said memo stated that on June 18, 2015 Mr Aden Harakhe was texted and called by Mr Aden Duale who advised him that he required political support and that leaders from his region came from URP. Mr Duale warned that he needed to be careful lest he is used and dumped by the other side of the coalition (TNA),” she states.

    The former CS further claims that Murkomen visited her office demanding that she stops investigations by the Directorate of Criminal Investigations (DCI) and unfreeze bank accounts that had been frozen following the probe.

    “Around the same month of July, Senator Murkomen visited my office and informed me that he represents his clients who were merchants whose funds had been stopped at IFMIS. Murkomen passed the message from his clients stating that I tell DCI to drop the investigations and said I could face unspecified consequences if I did not adhere to these demands,” Waiguru indicates.

    The ex-CS states that after refusing to bow down to Murkomen's demands, an impeachment motion to remove her from office was then tabled in parliament by Nandi Hills MP Alfred Keter.

    She adds that Ruto's personal assistant, Mr Kibet was a close business partner to businessman Benson Gethi, who is facing prosecution over the Sh791 Million saga.

    “Another person who was involved with the principal actors in the fraud of Sh791 million were Farouk Kibet, the Personal Assistant to the Deputy President who from DCI report was closely associated with Ben Gethi,” reads the affidavit.

    In the court document, Waiguru also reveals that Devolution Principal Secretary Peter Mang’iti, the then NYS Director-General Nelson Githinji and businessman Gethi were the core perpetrators in the scheme that saw millions lost.

    Waiguru alleges that Mang'iti and Gethi intimidated Harakhe to make suspicious payments, failure to which they threatened to fix him in the DCI investigations.

    “Mr Harakhe stated that on June 14, 2015, Eng Peter Mang’iti summoned him to Nakumatt Junction at around 7 pm. Eng Peter Mang’iti was together with a Mr Ben Gethi. Eng Mang’iti and Mr Ben Gethi told him that he had become a stumbling block and if he does not cooperate they would fix him through the DCI or litigation by suppliers,”  Waiguru said.

    This is the latest twist in the explosive NYS scandal, coming against the backdrop of another damning affidavit by businessman Josephine Kabura.

    Read Also: Waiguru 'Lied' About Arrests in NYS Scandal

    In Kabura's affidavit, Waiguru is alleged to have received a share of the money in question and played a key role in devising various schemes to divert public attention and mislead investigating agencies from getting to the bottom of the scandal.

    However, Duale has since dismissed the former Minister's allegations stating: "Let Waiguru not drag people's names and introduce Non-existent petty politics".

    "Waiguru should provide any iota of evidence to the investigative authorities and I will respond," Duale added.