An Uber taxi was on Sunday night burnt down along Kirichwa Road in Nairobi's Kilimani area, in what is presumed to be a result of the ongoing tussle between regular taxi drivers and their competitors partnering with Uber.
The Uber driver was reportedly dropping off a passenger when he was blocked by another car.
He reported that after stopping, four men carrying jericans of petrol moved in towards his car, spewed petrol on it then set it ablaze.
The driver who was still inside the car, managed to get out of the burning vehicle but the gang descended on him with a brutal beating.
After the heinous act, the unknown gang is said to have hopped into their car leaving the uber driver at the scene writhing in pain.
Nairobi police boss Japheth Koome condemned the crime stating: “These are criminals who belong to jail and I believe we will get them. That is not the way to settle their wars.”
The attack comes weeks after the Interior and Co-ordination Ministry weighed in on the rivalry between regular taxi drivers and their Uber competitors.
A team led by Competition Authority boss Wangombe Kariuki was formed to formulate laws that would govern the online taxi operation. The brawl between traditional taxi operators and the uber drivers originated from the claim that the latter were undercharging, posing a huge income challenge to the regular operators.
Here is the video:
— Waitiki (@Fei_Tk) February 21, 2016criminal fire.
- Bet & Win1 December 2021 - 6:15 pm
- HOLIDAY1 December 2021 - 6:33 pm
- ELEVATED1 December 2021 - 7:16 pm
- Puzzling1 December 2021 - 5:14 pm
- Gloves off1 December 2021 - 4:32 pm
- DIFFERS1 December 2021 - 4:46 pm
- Billionaires1 December 2021 - 4:12 pm
- BLASTED1 December 2021 - 4:37 pm
- Heartwarming1 December 2021 - 3:04 pm
- Blocked1 December 2021 - 2:56 pm
- Remarkable1 December 2021 - 2:07 pm
- Rough Patch1 December 2021 - 12:51 pm