Interior Cabinet Secretary (CS) Fred Matiang'i on Wednesday assigned the National Transport and Safety Authority (NTSA) a new role.
In a statement released by the CS alongside his Transport counterpart James Macharia, the NTSA job has been restricted to the inspection of public service vehicles in the bus stations.
The agency would also be expected to perform the compliance checks at the bus parks.
"This will be to ensure drivers are not under the influence of alcohol or other substances when embarking on journeys," part of the statement read.
The statement further indicated that the county police commanders will be held personally responsible for failing to enforce traffic laws.
[caption caption="Fred Matiang'i"][/caption]
The CSs clarified that the roads would be managed by traffic police further directing all those attached to NTSA to report back to the Police headquarters at Vigilance house.
"The IG will include reduction of road traffic fatality in the officer's performance contract and take action against those who fail to achieve set targets," they stated.
The two government officials also urged the body to begin vetting and deregistering driving schools.
"A joint team will conduct audit of all the 400 driving schools to establish their capacities and qualifications of instructors by March 30, 2018," the statement read in part.
NTSA is set to implement a new driver training and testing curriculum for all PSV and Commercial vehicle licence holders.
"All the 98,000 PSV and 302,000 CVDL drivers will undergo training and medical tests for conditions that may affect the driver's ability to drive." the CSs noted.
[caption caption="James Macharia"][/caption]
This new assignment comes a month after President Uhuru Kenyatta ordered NTSA off the roads and redirected the work of manning the roads to traffic police.
- Imageshots fired10 April 2020 - 10:03 am
- ImageAnother One10 April 2020 - 9:56 am
- Imagegreenlight10 April 2020 - 9:11 am
- ImagePandemic10 April 2020 - 8:37 am
- Imageangry10 April 2020 - 8:34 am
- Imagesuffering abroad10 April 2020 - 7:13 am
- Imagedo's and donts9 April 2020 - 7:55 pm
- Imageabort mission9 April 2020 - 7:05 pm
- Imagekind9 April 2020 - 6:40 pm
- Imagebedlam9 April 2020 - 6:31 pm
- ImageBeware9 April 2020 - 7:11 pm
- ImageGolden Heart9 April 2020 - 6:49 pm