National Super Alliance (NASA) allied businessman Jimmy Wanjigi and his wife Nzisa have sued Nation Media Group (NMG) and its senior managers over an 'erroneous' death announcement the newspaper ran on February 7.
In a suit filed at the Milimani law courts on Tuesday, the couple stated that the malicious publication was as a result of negligence on the part of the media company.
The NASA strategist divulged that his aging father, mother, and siblings were tormented by the death announcement and were subjected to psychological torture and trauma.
Mr Wanjigi faulted the newspaper for carelessness claiming that as an old operator, it ought to have verified the information before publishing traumatizing the advert.
[caption caption="Jimmy Wanjigi(Twitter)"][/caption]
He further linked the advert to "a death warning" issued as a promise to kill and made it known to the public his personal and private details.
Wanjigi further expressed his anger on how the publication included his private details, including that of his family life, details of his children, places of residence and schools they attend.
"The act of the respondents was partly accentuated with malice and an intention to drive sales of their flagship publication through the public reaction the said publication was going to generate.
"In their scheme of things, the respondents intended to achieve multi-pronged benefits from the death announcement; violate the fundamental rights and freedoms of the Petitioners, and ultimately economically profit from the public interest the said publication was intended to generate," he stated.
Acting CEO Stephen Gitagama, Editor in Chief Tom Mushindi and Advertising boss Michael Ngugi are named as the respondents alongside NMG.
[caption caption="Jimmy Wanjigi with his wife (Twitter)"][/caption]
- Stance27 September 2020 - 5:20 pm
- out and about27 September 2020 - 5:07 pm
- Surge27 September 2020 - 3:59 pm
- Milestones27 September 2020 - 4:21 pm
- Expert Advice27 September 2020 - 2:43 pm
- Ranked27 September 2020 - 2:30 pm
- unveiled27 September 2020 - 2:16 pm
- Commendable27 September 2020 - 1:24 pm
- people power27 September 2020 - 11:34 am
- Costly Journey27 September 2020 - 11:37 am
- Outed27 September 2020 - 11:09 am
- battle27 September 2020 - 9:59 am