2017 Post Election Violence Taken to Hague

  • The 2017 election violence was allegedly taken to the Hague which is the home of the International Criminal Court (ICC).

    According to reports by The Standard on Wednesday, Thirdway Party leader Dr Ekuru Aukot was at The Hague in Netherlands where he was pursuing justice for victims of the 2017 election violence, the Isiolo and Turkana killings.

    "Speculation that he is disturbed by police killings one community Isiolo. He recently termed the Isiolo killings as genocide," the daily reported.

    However, Kenyans.co.ke reached out to Thirdway Alliance Party, Secretary General Fredrick Okango who confirmed that indeed Dr Aukot was at The Hague but on official duty as a lawyer.

    [caption caption="NASA supporters running away from police who had fired teargas during demos in 2017"][/caption]

    Okango did not explain the Thirdway Party Alliance leader's undertakings at The Hague maintaining he was not seeking justice for the election violence victims as reported.

    The Secretary-General stated: "Dr Ekuru is in the Hague Netherland. He left on Sunday on official duty as a lawyer."

    Dr Aukot has been very vocal about insecurity in northern-eastern Kenya, corruption and the cost of living where border clashes have led to the closure of schools and destruction of property.

    The Kenya Human Rights watch submitted its findings after the 2017 general elections which they described as having been marred by a lot of violence.

    "The withdrawal of Raila Odinga on October 10 has created uncertainty on whether the elections could take place on the stated date," the report read in part.

    [caption caption="Police surrounding a NASA supporter during the 2017 election demonstrations"][/caption]

    "The elections were marred by serious human rights violations by Kenyan security forces, who used excessive force to break up protests and carry out house-to-house operations particularly in opposition strongholds in Nairobi and western Kenya," the reported added.

    According to the watch group over the past five years, Kenyan authorities have consistently failed to adequately investigate a range of abuses across the country and undermine basic rights to free expression and association.