Makueni Governor Kivutha Kibwana on Wednesday presided over the launch of the Kenyan chapter of the Movement for Community-Led Development.
According to the description on the Movement's website, their objective is set towards ensuring that women, men and youth can discover their voice, assert their rights, and mobilize action to achieve their aspirations.
"The launch of the Community-led development movement- Kenyan chapter heralds the passing of the button to the people of Kenya to make the dream of devolution a reality," Governor Kibwana noted.
"I'm persuaded that community-led development is a means of governance for poverty eradication, sustainable development and society transformation.
"Politicians should stop seeing the establishment of public participation mechanisms as a threat to their power," the Makueni county boss advised.
The country's where the Movement has footing include Netherlands, UK, Mexico, Benin, Burkina Faso, Ghana, Malawi and Uganda.
Kibwana has in the past indicated that he runs his county on a public participation model exercised at all levels.
Addressing fellow governors who had gone on a benchmarking mission in August 2018, Kivutha indicated that in his county, the public must approve completed projects before the county government can process payments.
One of his key strategies in Makueni is through investing in civic education and public participation as a way of facilitating mindset change and enabling the people to take charge of devolution.
Kivutha in the past urged legislators to devolve power, authority and mandate to community members so that they can plan and decide on the issues that affect them.
- unfortunate20 October 2021 - 9:33 am
- Mysterious Fire20 October 2021 - 8:23 am
- Take Action20 October 2021 - 7:33 am
- Triumphant Entry19 October 2021 - 7:54 pm
- REVOKED19 October 2021 - 7:40 pm
- revealed19 October 2021 - 7:18 pm
- Ambitious19 October 2021 - 6:59 pm
- New Direction19 October 2021 - 6:08 pm
- Intervened19 October 2021 - 6:19 pm
- Shame19 October 2021 - 6:38 pm
- Revelations19 October 2021 - 5:31 pm
- on condition19 October 2021 - 5:25 pm