Professor George Magoha was on Friday nominated by President Uhuru Kenyatta as the next Education CS.
Prof Magoha, the outgoing Kenya National of Examinations Council (KNEC) Chairman has been in office since 2016 and is famed for making major changes in the examination body, most notably reducing exam irregularities.
Prior to this, he was the Vice Chancellor at the University of Nairobi for a period of 10 years, 2005 to 2015.
Before being the Vice-Chancellor, he was the Chairman of the Academic Department of Surgery and Dean of the Faculty of Medicine.
Kenyans.co.ke has dug into the profile of the no-nonsense and respected professor who has had incredible achievements.
1. Magoha has a Bachelors Degree in Surgery, Dental Surgery and Nursing and a Postgraduate Degree in Teaching and Supervision.
His other international academic qualifications include; M.B.B.S. University of Lagos, Primary F.R.C.S.(Fellowship of Royal College of Surgeons) in Dublin Ireland and F.M.C.S (Federal Mediation of Clinical Services) (Nigeria) in Clinical General Surgery.
They also include F.M.C.S. (Urol) Nigeria (by Thesis), F.W.A.C.S. (Fellow West African College of Surgeons), F.I.C.S. (Fellow, International College of Surgeons), F.C.S. (ECSA) (Fellow, College of Surgeons of East, Central and Southern Africa) and Certificate in Executive Management at Stanford University.
2. In his career, he served as President of Association of the Medical Councils of Africa (AMCOA) which is an international body for Medical bodies in Africa from 2013 to 2015
3. Magoha was the very first public servant to be competitively appointed in an educational capacity in January 2005 when he joined UoN as the VC.
4. He has professionally taught Urological and Transplant Surgery at the university for 19 years. In the medical field, he has done expansive research on prostate, penile, and testicular cancer, erectile dysfunction and circumcision.
5. Magoha also served as a member of the Medical Practitioners and Dentists Board (KMPDU) since 1999 and has been Chairman from 2009 to date. His membership and leadership spans to a period of 20 years.
6. He started his career in Surgery at the Lagos University Teaching Hospital as an intern and rose to the position of Senior Resident and Clinical Lecturer in Surgery over the years.
7. Additionally, the professor has published 59 research papers in reputed international and national journals mostly on sexual dysfunction.
8. He is among the Kenyans with the longest CVs, a total of 91 pages, which also consists of a table of contents and a list of all the 60 countries he has toured, the seminars, conferences, the bodies he is a member of and his publications.
9. Magoha visited more than 100 Universities internationally in the 10 years he was the VC creating a Memorandum of Understanding with the international educational centres.
10. He initiated the two graduations per year at UON of which previously, students faced challenges with the one graduation per year system thus delaying their graduation. The two graduations per year were previously practised in private universities.
11. He is actively involved in vast and original research with Universities in the US on prostate, penile, and testicular cancer, erectile dysfunction, and circumcision as part of his Urology career.
12. His career in urology was informed by the struggles he witnessed while growing up whereby he saw men unable to pass urine.
13.Magoha was the longest serving (12 years) member of the Governing Board of Association of African Universities (AAU) which is an association that convenes to discuss matters African Universities as listed on his CV, though he left in 2017.
- Imagesuffering abroad10 April 2020 - 7:13 am
- Imagedo's and donts9 April 2020 - 7:55 pm
- Imageabort mission9 April 2020 - 7:05 pm
- Imagekind9 April 2020 - 6:40 pm
- Imagebedlam9 April 2020 - 6:31 pm
- ImageBeware9 April 2020 - 7:11 pm
- ImageGolden Heart9 April 2020 - 6:49 pm
- Imageswift9 April 2020 - 6:03 pm
- Imageemergency9 April 2020 - 5:57 pm
- ImageGhost Whispers9 April 2020 - 6:19 pm
- Imagefunny9 April 2020 - 5:47 pm
- Imageclose shave9 April 2020 - 5:28 pm