Environment Cabinet Secretary, Keriako Tobiko, has decided to go after individuals who encroached on the Maasai Mau Forest land. The CS has already forwarded their files to the Director of Public Prosecutions Noordin Haji, according to Nation. The individuals thus face arrest
While speaking before the National Assembly Committee on Environment on Tuesday, September 10, the CS revealed that the DPP was reviewing the files and would swiftly take action against those involved.
"These individuals committed a crime by purporting to have sold land that doesn’t belong to them. They should be traced and forced to return the money. If they have any land in their names, they should resettle the people they sold land to,” Tobiko declared.
Tobiko reiterated that President Uhuru Kenyatta's government would not rest on its laurels until the ongoing forest destruction in Mau was thwarted.
The CS disclosed that 14,000 hectares of land were sold and that of the 6,000 people who encroached on the Mau, only 716 have purported titles, 4,439 have sale agreements and letters of allotment, while 2,741 have no documents.
"The mere fact that the individuals hold titles signed by a government official doesn’t render an invalid process valid.
"The government will not compensate individuals who participated in illegality," Tobiko warned.
He, however, promised that his ministry would assist individuals who reached out with crucial information on the controversial issue, stating that it was a national menace.
"Let them come out and record a statement and provide us with all documents so we can follow up on those who duped them.
"Mau is not a matter between the Kalenjins and the Maasai. This is a national issue, which must be protected to serve even future generations. The exercise is unstoppable, there is no going back," Tobiko asserted.
Watch the video, courtesy of NTV.
- Imagetroops24 February 2020 - 5:23 pm
- ImageBrace Yourselves24 February 2020 - 5:07 pm
- ImageI'm not afraid24 February 2020 - 4:20 pm
- Imageswitching lanes24 February 2020 - 3:15 pm
- Imagebizarre24 February 2020 - 3:28 pm
- ImageLife-Threatening24 February 2020 - 3:41 pm
- Imagewhat next?24 February 2020 - 3:00 pm
- Imagesmart business24 February 2020 - 2:06 pm
- ImageKenyans Asks24 February 2020 - 5:51 pm
- Imageballers24 February 2020 - 5:42 pm
- Imagebold24 February 2020 - 12:59 pm
- ImageUnsettling24 February 2020 - 12:48 pm