Education Cabinet Secretary Professor George Magoha, on Thursday, September 12, officially launched investigations into the death of 14-year-old Jackline Chepngeno.
The move came after concerted efforts by women legislators, led by Nairobi Woman Representative Esther Passaris.
Together with her fellow lawmakers, Passaris laid siege at the Ministry of Education in protest over the alleged period-shaming that led to Chepngeno's suicide.
"Grateful to Education Cabinet Secretary George Magoha for agreeing to investigate the circumstances that led to the death of a student in Bomet, due to period shaming. I look forward to the outcome of your inquest and to the release of sanitary towels to schools across the country," Passaris stated.
Reports by The Standard on Wednesday, had stated that the 14-year-old committed suicide after a female teacher publicly ridiculed her for soiling her clothes with her monthly cycle.
"She had nothing to use as a pad. When the blood stained her clothes, she was told to leave the classroom and stand outside," her mother Beatrice Chepkurui narrated.
Speaking to Kenyans.co.ke Passaris' aide Muhinza Bushoki disclosed that the Teachers' Service Commission (TSC) had been looped in on the inquiry into the teacher's conduct.
CS Magoha assured the legislators that the inquest would be granted top priority, so as to get to the bottom of the matter and carry out any necessary action based on the findings.
"Magoha also promised to look into procurement issues, given that sanitary towels were being issued through the Ministry of Gender, but now it's being done through his ministry, leading to some delays," the Nairobi woman representative's aide stated.
- Imagetroops24 February 2020 - 5:23 pm
- ImageBrace Yourselves24 February 2020 - 5:07 pm
- ImageI'm not afraid24 February 2020 - 4:20 pm
- Imageswitching lanes24 February 2020 - 3:15 pm
- Imagebizarre24 February 2020 - 3:28 pm
- ImageLife-Threatening24 February 2020 - 3:41 pm
- Imagewhat next?24 February 2020 - 3:00 pm
- Imagesmart business24 February 2020 - 2:06 pm
- ImageKenyans Asks24 February 2020 - 5:51 pm
- Imageballers24 February 2020 - 5:42 pm
- Imagebold24 February 2020 - 12:59 pm
- ImageUnsettling24 February 2020 - 12:48 pm