Nairobi Governor Mike Sonko on Wednesday, September 25, suspended 16 of his top county officials over alleged corruption.
The move was prompted by the tragic accident that occurred at the Precious Talent Schoo in Ngando Ward, Nairobi County on Monday, September 23, 2019, resulting in the death of eight pupils.
Sonko disclosed that he had unearthed some rogue elements within the Urban Planning Department, and announced their immediate suspension.
"Given the foregoing, I have, therefore, suspended the following Nairobi City County Government officials with immediate effect, to facilitate impartial investigations that have commenced into this unfortunate incident and the conclusion of the ongoing comprehensive systems audit in the Urban Planning Department," the governor stated.
The full list of the suspended Nairobi County official can be seen below:
1. Charles Kerich, the current County Executive Committee Member (CECM) for Finance and Economic Planning, who is the immediate former CECM for Lands and Urban Planning
2. Mohammed Dagane – CECM Health (responsible for general public health and safety)
3. Justus Kathenge, suspended County Chief Officer for Urban Planning (to continue in suspension)
4. Jusper Ndeke, Director Planning Compliance and Enforcement
5. Dominic Mutegi, Development Management Director
6. Ochanda Ondari Fredrick, Assistant Director Enforcement
7. Ruth Waruguru, Director Urban Planning
8. Thomas Dudi, Assistant Director Planning
9. Simon Onyango, Development Officer (regularization of buildings/approval of architectural plans)
10. Alex Mucheru, Development Control (overseeing approvals of buildings and schools on behalf of public health and safety)
11. Mackline Saitera, Development Control (approval of building plans and school inspection)
12. Edna Guantai, In-charge of approval of public buildings and schools on behalf of public health
13. Joyce Kyengo, Dagoretti South Sub-County Administrator
14. Lucy Wairimu Munyika, Dagoretti South Sub-County Commander.
15. Sylivia Mwikali Nthinga, Dagoretti South Sub-County Planning Officer
16. Okal Kennedy, Ngando Ward Administrator
"As I have stated countless times before, my administration shall not condone or tolerate any form of corruption, incompetence or lethargy that may jeopardize the lives of, or negatively affect service delivery to, Nairobi residents in any way whatsoever," he added.
Nairobi County Communication Director, Elkana Jacob, while speaking to Kenyans.co.ke, also disclosed the appointment of two new interim officials made by governor Sonko, to ensure minimal disruption of services at City Hall.
Pauline Kahiga was appointed as the Acting CECM Finance and Economic Planning, while Veska Kangogo was handed the role of Acting CECM Health.
The governor maintained that each member of his administration should be ready to take personal responsibility for their various sectors.
- Urban farmers15 April 2021 - 11:25 am
- unique15 April 2021 - 10:53 am
- Beware15 April 2021 - 9:27 am
- cache of weapons15 April 2021 - 8:32 am
- Relief15 April 2021 - 8:25 am
- Implicated15 April 2021 - 7:45 am
- hope15 April 2021 - 7:23 am
- dangerous14 April 2021 - 7:33 pm
- this is why14 April 2021 - 7:24 pm
- Scaling Heights14 April 2021 - 7:44 pm
- Remarkable14 April 2021 - 6:57 pm
- easy money14 April 2021 - 5:07 pm