A man was on the evening of Tuesday, October 15, shot and killed after chaos erupted during campaigns in Ganda Ward, Kilifi County, ahead of the region's upcoming by-election that is scheduled for October 17, 2019.
It is believed that Malindi MP Aisha Jumwa stormed a venue where a meeting was ongoing and in the scuffle that ensued, the ODM agent got killed.
The meeting was convened for ODM agents to strategise on how they would conduct the mini-poll.
Speaking to Kenyans.co.ke, a correspondent from the region confirmed the deceased as Gumbao Jola, an uncle to Reuben Katana, ODM's candidate for the Ganda Ward by-election.
According to short videos doing rounds on social media, Jumwa stormed the venue with police in tow after which the scuffle erupted.
It is not clear who pulled the trigger that killed the victim during the chaos.
"Aisha Jumwa arrived at the venue in a white car surrounded by bodyguards and it was in the chaos that ensued, a shot was heard.
"It was not immediately clear who shot the victim," the source intimated.
Confirming the incident, Malindi Sub-county Police Commander Phillip Wambugu stated that investigations had been launched into the matter, as Jumwa denied any involvement in the scuffle.
The deceased was taken to Malindi District Hospital Mortuary.
- Dangerous9 August 2020 - 12:05 pm
- Presidential Interaction9 August 2020 - 11:45 am
- tragedy9 August 2020 - 10:35 am
- The Truth9 August 2020 - 9:29 am
- 2022 Politics9 August 2020 - 8:46 am
- Shattering ceilings9 August 2020 - 7:49 am
- Commendable9 August 2020 - 7:28 am
- Troubled9 August 2020 - 7:14 am
- heavy hitter8 August 2020 - 7:58 pm
- in hindsight8 August 2020 - 7:32 pm
- changing lives8 August 2020 - 7:03 pm
- emotional8 August 2020 - 5:57 pm