Police are yet to conclude why and how a Catholic priest from Machakos Diocese was kidnapped, murdered and buried in a shallow grave on Tuesday, October 15, 2019.
Reverend Michael Maingi Kyengo was last seen driving on Tuesday, October 8 at Kaewa Location, Matungulu.
However, the priest did not return to his Thatha Parish, prompting fellow priests to report him missing to the police.
The body of Father Kyengo was found buried in a shallow grave along the Mashamba River in Makima location, Mbeere South. One suspect; 25-year-old Michael Muthini Mutunga who is suspected to have kidnapped the priest, killed and buried his body at the said place, is in lawful custody.
Detectives drawn from the Special Crimes Unit stated that one of the suspects led the police to the scene on Tuesday.
According to the police, 43-year-old Kyengo was kidnapped on October 7. The kidnappers slit his throat and cut his body before burying him
The suspected killers then stole Kyengo's vehicle and drove to Malindi where they withdrew part of the priest's money.
Cyrus Ombati, a crime reporter told Kenyans.co.ke that police officers arrested two of the four suspects in Nairobi - Mombasa Highway in Makindu.
Police and a pathologist were at the scene of the crime when the body was exhumed from the banks of Gathingiri River.
However, detectives are yet to establish why the kidnappers murdered Kyengo.
Head of Special Crimes Prevention Unit Pius Gitari mentioned that investigators were following crucial leads on the whereabouts of the missing suspects.murder arrest killed suspect
- dreams come true28 January 2023 - 8:26 am
- CHANGE OF TUNE28 January 2023 - 7:43 am
- demands28 January 2023 - 7:23 am
- Explanation28 January 2023 - 7:30 am
- Innovative28 January 2023 - 8:44 am
- Haste27 January 2023 - 8:07 pm
- Opposed27 January 2023 - 7:56 pm
- Heartbreaking27 January 2023 - 7:26 pm
- OPPOSITION27 January 2023 - 7:16 pm
- DIRECTIVE27 January 2023 - 6:15 pm
- EXPLAINED27 January 2023 - 6:54 pm
- Changes27 January 2023 - 6:38 pm