Police are yet to conclude why and how a Catholic priest from Machakos Diocese was kidnapped, murdered and buried in a shallow grave on Tuesday, October 15, 2019.
Reverend Michael Maingi Kyengo was last seen driving on Tuesday, October 8 at Kaewa Location, Matungulu.
However, the priest did not return to his Thatha Parish, prompting fellow priests to report him missing to the police.
The body of Father Kyengo was found buried in a shallow grave along the Mashamba River in Makima location, Mbeere South. One suspect; 25-year-old Michael Muthini Mutunga who is suspected to have kidnapped the priest, killed and buried his body at the said place, is in lawful custody.
Detectives drawn from the Special Crimes Unit stated that one of the suspects led the police to the scene on Tuesday.
According to the police, 43-year-old Kyengo was kidnapped on October 7. The kidnappers slit his throat and cut his body before burying him
The suspected killers then stole Kyengo's vehicle and drove to Malindi where they withdrew part of the priest's money.
Cyrus Ombati, a crime reporter told Kenyans.co.ke that police officers arrested two of the four suspects in Nairobi - Mombasa Highway in Makindu.
Police and a pathologist were at the scene of the crime when the body was exhumed from the banks of Gathingiri River.
However, detectives are yet to establish why the kidnappers murdered Kyengo.
Head of Special Crimes Prevention Unit Pius Gitari mentioned that investigators were following crucial leads on the whereabouts of the missing suspects.
- get out23 September 2020 - 7:24 am
- Embattled23 September 2020 - 7:21 am
- Take off22 September 2020 - 8:13 pm
- blame game22 September 2020 - 8:09 pm
- Tragic22 September 2020 - 7:50 pm
- home is best22 September 2020 - 7:02 pm
- More Donations22 September 2020 - 6:58 pm
- sold out22 September 2020 - 6:00 pm
- go thee well22 September 2020 - 5:50 pm
- Be Warned22 September 2020 - 5:37 pm
- Bring it Home22 September 2020 - 5:19 pm
- defiance22 September 2020 - 4:49 pm