Ex-Sports CS Echesa Arrested

  • Update

    Former Sports CS Rashid Echesa was on Friday, February 14, arraigned at the Jomo Kenyatta International Airport magistrate court.

    Echesa is facing charges in a Ksh 40 billion scandal involving the supply of military surveillance equipment. 

    Appearing before the court, Echesa denied forgery charges levelled up against him. On his part, Echesa's lawyer argued that detaining him would not help the investigation.

    "It will not help investigations for the first respondent to be detained. At paragraph 11 your honour, the investigative officer is saying that they recovered some documents hidden in the motor vehicles belonging to the first respondent but we say that no document was ever recovered belonging to the first respondent in KCR 786H. If that is the case, then, let the council be brave enough at least to avail a copy of an inventory " Exhesa's lawyer argued.

    The prosecution is seeking to hold Echesa for 21 days with detectives set to travel to the United States to gather more information.

    Echesa was arrested on Thursday, February 13 and driven to the Directorate of Criminal Investigations (DCI) along Kiambu Road. 

    These reports were further confirmed by The Standard making it the second time the former CS was being apprehended by detectives following his unceremonious exit from the Cabinet in March 2019.

    Former Sports CS Rashid Echesa (pictured) was arrested on Thursday, February 13.

    Echesa is said to have been arrested over fraudulent deals for purchasing firearms and ammunition.

    The former CS allegedly wanted to defraud some internationals from Turkey, whom he was to help acquire a tender through the government.

    Echesa is currently under investigation at the DCI headquarters and his vehicle has been impounded.

    In May 2019, Echesa was apprehended over the killings in Matungu, Kakamega County.

    Echesa was arrested alongside Kakamega Senator Cleophas Malala and Mayoni Ward MCA Libinus Oduor.

    He was released in the same month after police failed to link him with the killings.

    Nandi Hills police boss David Nyabuto stated that they were unable to find evidence against him after two days of interrogation.

    ammunition arrest