A Kenyan school principal has won the African Union Continental Teacher of the Year Award 2020.
Jane Kamiti, the head of Othaya Girls High School was awarded as the best teacher in the event held in Adis Ababa, Ethiopia, on Monday, December 21.
The teacher was recognised for her efforts to improve the quality of learning and also ensuring students achieve high standards in projects.
Kamiti was also praised for engaging in activities and networks that enhance the social and cultural value of learning.Computers in a laboratoryFile
She also helped her students to achieve their long term career goals by organising engagement with relevant agencies and information.
In 2019, she was awarded for introducing e-learning through Information Communication Technology (ICT) in the school.
Erick Ademba, a high school teacher from Asumbi Girls High School in Homabay County won the price at the time. He was also the first runners up of the Teacher of the Year (TOYA) awards in Kenya in 2018.
Member states of the African Union (AU) were required to nominate two outstanding teachers (male and female) and submit their names to the headquarters in Addis Ababa.
The Teachers Service Commission nominated Ademba together with Damaris Mwende of Mbooni Boys who was also the first runners up for ICT Teacher of the Year (ITOYA) 2018 awards.File image of an individual using a laptopFile
- Revealed25 January 2021 - 7:47 am
- Brace Yourself25 January 2021 - 7:31 am
- Listen Up24 January 2021 - 7:17 pm
- gridlock24 January 2021 - 6:10 pm
- Surge24 January 2021 - 4:35 pm
- expensive24 January 2021 - 5:02 pm
- Unfortunate24 January 2021 - 4:29 pm
- investing24 January 2021 - 5:28 pm
- Worrying24 January 2021 - 4:13 pm
- Not This Time24 January 2021 - 2:25 pm
- well-paying24 January 2021 - 2:41 pm
- Chaos24 January 2021 - 2:19 pm