New details have emerged about the attack in Widho, Lamu County where six people lost their lives while several houses were torched in the Monday morning, January 3 incident.
Speaking to the media on January 3, Coast Regional Commissioner, John Elungata dismissed earlier claims that the attack was orchestrated by the militant group, Al Shabaab.
The police boss attributed the attack to an existing land conflict between squatters and ranch owners in the region. He further requested the residents to cooperate and assist the police in conducting investigations.Coast Regional Commissioner, John Elungata in a past press conferencePeople Daily
According to police reports, one man was shot dead while another was hacked. The other four including a business owner and his staff were locked in a house before the assailants set it ablaze.
Bodies of the deceased were taken to the Mpeketoni Sub-County Hospital morgue for identification.
One of the survivors, in an emotional interview, narrated her encounter with the perpetrators of the heinous act.
"They ordered me to lie down. They made an inquest on my name, religious affiliations and tribe," she stated.
Area residents began fleeing the region, expressing fears of a subsequent attack. However, police launched a manhunt to track down the perpetrators of the cowardly attack and assured the constituents of safety.
Earlier on, a multi-agency team comprising officers from the Kenya Defence Forces (KDF) and the Anti-Terror Police Unit (ATPU) were dispatched to beef up security in the area.
Lamu West Member of Parliament, Stanley Muthama, called for a thorough and expedited probe into the matter.Kenya's Anti-Terror Police Unit (ATPU) officersFiledead hack probe
- it's a wrap22 January 2022 - 7:07 pm
- earthquake22 January 2022 - 5:43 pm
- Confusion22 January 2022 - 4:35 pm
- at large22 January 2022 - 3:27 pm
- fresh demands22 January 2022 - 2:42 pm
- Just for You22 January 2022 - 1:38 pm
- Politricks22 January 2022 - 1:50 pm
- Road Crash22 January 2022 - 1:27 pm
- coming clean22 January 2022 - 12:28 pm
- Explained22 January 2022 - 11:10 am
- coming back22 January 2022 - 11:04 am
- bow out22 January 2022 - 10:16 am