Former Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission (IEBC) Chief Executive Officer James Oswago has reportedly admitted that there was external interference in the 2013 General Election that saw President Uhuru Kenyatta ascend to the highest office in the land.
Oswago stated that the failures witnessed in the fiercely-fought presidential contest were not in anyway an indication of inability by IEBC, but influence from external forces.
“External manipulation of the results could have come from outside the commission. It’s a rank insanity that after what happened in 2007, the electoral commission could plan to change the outcome,” said Oswago in an interview with The Standard.
The ex-IEBC boss further expressed concern that three years after the last elections, some of the mishaps that rocked the polls remain unresolved and could still affect the upcoming 2017 elections.
“Am worried that we are approaching the next general election but these issues remain unresolved. I suggested to the commission to have a multi-discipline and bipartisan team to probe the failures and give independent views but that is yet to happen,” said Oswago.
He cautioned the commission not to preside over the forth coming polls if the failures of the last exercise were not addressed by a multi-disciplinary committee.
Oswago's claims could become fodder for heightened political exchange, considering the Opposition has consistently decried irregularity and manipulation in the last polls that saw CORD leader Raila Odinga trounced by President Kenyatta.
Oswago was suspended from the helm of the electoral body after he was accused of involvement in the so-called Chickengate scandal. He is accused of receiving a hefty bribe to influence the awarding of a tender to supply electoral materials to international company Smith & Ouzman Printing Firm.
During his appearance before the Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission last month, he reiterated his stance on the scandal saying he was innocent.
- Imageirate22 February 2020 - 8:50 pm
- ImageStay Away!22 February 2020 - 8:40 pm
- Imageshots fired22 February 2020 - 7:41 pm
- Imagelooking back22 February 2020 - 7:21 pm
- Imagefirst appearence22 February 2020 - 6:44 pm
- ImageStreamlining the system22 February 2020 - 5:47 pm
- Imagedivine calling22 February 2020 - 5:58 pm
- Imagerelieve22 February 2020 - 4:00 pm
- ImageGreat Talk22 February 2020 - 4:49 pm
- Imagereviving the dream22 February 2020 - 3:30 pm
- Imagetill further notice22 February 2020 - 2:59 pm
- ImageTaking Initiative22 February 2020 - 2:46 pm