Directorate of Criminal Investigations (DCI) inspectors on Monday made an arrest at the Milimani Law Courts where 17 other National Youth Service (NYS) scandal suspects were arraigned in court.
The DCI officers arrested three suspects who had appeared at the courts in connection with the theft of Ksh 468 million from NYS.
According to the investigators, 12 of the accused presented themselves to the Kiambu Road headquarters where they were taken in while two others were arrested on Sunday.
Chief Magistrate Douglas Ogoti had ordered the remaining suspects to surrender at their own will after he sent 33 suspects to remand awaiting a hearing on Tuesday.
[caption caption="File image of suspects in the Ksh8 Billion NYS scandal arraigned in court"][/caption]
DCI boss George Kinoti on May 31 revealed that 15 suspects were still at large, the number now stands at 10 suspects yet to surrender to the DCI.
"We have formed a special unit to track and arrest all the suspects named in the scandal and we urge them to surrender because we will find and arrest them wherever they are," Mr Kinoti stated.
The suspects have all denied charges of fraud that have been brought against them by the Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions (ODPP).
The suspects were denied bond after the DPP argued that they could escape trial by fleeing the country.
"Our client is no longer in office she stepped aside… she cannot interfere with ongoing investigations as purportedly said by the prosecution. If she was to influence witnesses, she would have done it from 2015," PS Omollo's lawyer had argued.
[caption caption="DPP Noordin Haji"][/caption]
- Unfortunate23 January 2021 - 7:04 pm
- alma mater23 January 2021 - 5:54 pm
- latest report23 January 2021 - 4:56 pm
- Rewind23 January 2021 - 5:32 pm
- Shut down23 January 2021 - 4:01 pm
- In Need23 January 2021 - 3:06 pm
- accused23 January 2021 - 2:17 pm
- High Life23 January 2021 - 1:23 pm
- money makers23 January 2021 - 1:53 pm
- RIP23 January 2021 - 11:58 am
- touching23 January 2021 - 12:19 pm
- backlash23 January 2021 - 10:57 am