Reports in the Standard indicate the gunmen descended on the home on Tuesday evening injuring at least five people with one of the survivors in critical condition.
Confirming the incident, Kenya Red Cross Society Coast regional coordinator Hassan Musa disclosed that the injured had been ferried to Malindi Subcounty hospital.
According to eyewitnesses who spoke to the Star, the five, who appeared to be of Somali origin, raided the home demanding money.
It was then that the Italian woman, a volunteer at the home, confronted them during the raid maintaining that there was no cash.
Another woman, an employee of the home, was shot in the chest and is reported to be in a critical condition.
Police have since responded to the incident and are pursuing the attackers.
Additional reporting by Citizen indicated that the men were armed with AK47 rifles when they attacked Chakama Trading centre at 8 PM firing indiscriminately at the locals.
The Italian woman has been identified as Silvia, a 23-year-old volunteer with an NGO, Africa Milele Onlus, in the area.
Neither the reasons for the attack nor the identity of the attackers has been established.
"Meanwhile, we appeal to members of the public in the area to report promptly to the nearest Police Officer or Police Station should they sight the criminals with the abducted lady," the Police stated in a tweet.
- Imageirate22 February 2020 - 8:50 pm
- ImageStay Away!22 February 2020 - 8:40 pm
- Imageshots fired22 February 2020 - 7:41 pm
- Imagelooking back22 February 2020 - 7:21 pm
- Imagefirst appearence22 February 2020 - 6:44 pm
- ImageStreamlining the system22 February 2020 - 5:47 pm
- Imagedivine calling22 February 2020 - 5:58 pm
- Imagerelieve22 February 2020 - 4:00 pm
- ImageGreat Talk22 February 2020 - 4:49 pm
- Imagereviving the dream22 February 2020 - 3:30 pm
- Imagetill further notice22 February 2020 - 2:59 pm
- ImageTaking Initiative22 February 2020 - 2:46 pm