Reports in the Standard indicate the gunmen descended on the home on Tuesday evening injuring at least five people with one of the survivors in critical condition.
Confirming the incident, Kenya Red Cross Society Coast regional coordinator Hassan Musa disclosed that the injured had been ferried to Malindi Subcounty hospital.
According to eyewitnesses who spoke to the Star, the five, who appeared to be of Somali origin, raided the home demanding money.
It was then that the Italian woman, a volunteer at the home, confronted them during the raid maintaining that there was no cash.
Another woman, an employee of the home, was shot in the chest and is reported to be in a critical condition.
Police have since responded to the incident and are pursuing the attackers.
Additional reporting by Citizen indicated that the men were armed with AK47 rifles when they attacked Chakama Trading centre at 8 PM firing indiscriminately at the locals.
The Italian woman has been identified as Silvia, a 23-year-old volunteer with an NGO, Africa Milele Onlus, in the area.
Neither the reasons for the attack nor the identity of the attackers has been established.
"Meanwhile, we appeal to members of the public in the area to report promptly to the nearest Police Officer or Police Station should they sight the criminals with the abducted lady," the Police stated in a tweet.
- friends turned foes27 September 2020 - 8:15 pm
- Ng'eno Again27 September 2020 - 7:50 pm
- Covid who?27 September 2020 - 6:55 pm
- road carnage27 September 2020 - 6:36 pm
- Stance27 September 2020 - 5:20 pm
- out and about27 September 2020 - 5:07 pm
- Surge27 September 2020 - 3:59 pm
- Milestones27 September 2020 - 4:21 pm
- Expert Advice27 September 2020 - 2:43 pm
- Ranked27 September 2020 - 2:30 pm
- unveiled27 September 2020 - 2:16 pm
- Commendable27 September 2020 - 1:24 pm