Flying might seem like a privilege to many Kenyans but to politicians who have to transverse the country especially during the campaign periods, it becomes a necessity.
Over the years, as some opt to rent the helicopters some have gone to own their own. Listed by regulatory bodies as owners of choppers in Kenya are Kanu chairman Gideon Moi, former President Mwai Kibaki and Embu Senator Lenny Kivuti.
However, there are a number of politicians who own helicopters that have been involved in crashes some resulting in fatalities.
1. William Kabogo
In January 2019, William Kabogo opened up on an accident involving his chopper the previous year that led to its grounding.
Appearing on Citizen TV JKL, the former county chief who's also a trained pilot failed to disclose the nature of the crash.
A 2018 report by the Standard revealed Kabogo's Eurocopter AS 350B3 registration number 5Y–EXK crashed while taking off at Wilson Airport in Nairobi.
2. Kalonzo Musyoka
Wiper leader Kalonzo Musyoka was also the owner of a chopper an AS 350B3 Eurocopter.
However, in October 2015, the helicopter crashed killing Deo Filikunjombe, a Chama Cha Mapinduzi (CCM) candidate for Ludewa, Kasablanka Haule and Egid Mkwela and the pilot Captain William Silaa.
Tanzanian President John Magufuli's party had rented the helicopter for their campaigns.
It went down at the Selous Game Reserve as it was heading to South West Tanzania, reports by the Nation revealed.
At the time, the Tanzania Civil Aviation Authority (TCAA) investigated reports that the helicopter was burning as it fell.
After the accident, Kalonzo's office confirmed that the AS-35 labelled 5Y-DKK, belonged to the leader.
3. DP William Ruto
In March 2019, a helicopter crashed in Turkana County killing Deputy President William Ruto’s pilot and four American tourists.
Reports by the Standard indicated that the chopper belonged to DP William Ruto.
Ruto’s official pilot Captain Mario Magonga was flying the aircraft at the time it crashed.
- Imagewow27 February 2020 - 5:56 pm
- ImageLoan Rangers27 February 2020 - 5:27 pm
- ImageBold Determination27 February 2020 - 4:58 pm
- ImageBizarre27 February 2020 - 4:48 pm
- ImageMemories27 February 2020 - 4:06 pm
- ImageDress Down27 February 2020 - 3:56 pm
- Imageconsequences27 February 2020 - 3:44 pm
- ImagePart Ways27 February 2020 - 4:21 pm
- Imagelisten up27 February 2020 - 2:33 pm
- ImageCorridors of Justice27 February 2020 - 2:05 pm
- Imagepublic notice27 February 2020 - 4:23 pm
- Imageopportunity27 February 2020 - 2:58 pm