11 Reasons Why Nairobi is Flooding - Kidero
In a statement issued on Saturday, Kidero gave 11 reasons that have made it difficult for the City to withstand the heavy rains being experienced.
According to the County boss, the current situation has been worsened due to:
1. Encroachment and obstruction of riparian reserves, natural water courses and drainage wayleaves and denial of access to drainage outfalls.
2. Indiscriminate disposal of solid waste consisting of excavated soils, construction of debris and garbage onto water courses, road reserves and sewerage system restricting the proper functioning of the system.
3. Unsupervised, poorly constructed and undersized storm water drainage infrastructure.
4. Passage of water pipes, telecommunication cables and other services through drainage infrastructure.
5. Depleted seepage zone due to increased urban roof and impervious ground cover not matched by increase in capacity of the drainage system.
6. Blocking of drains for urban agricultural activities.
7. Informal settlements on low lying areas and flood plains.
8. Deposition of soil into wetlands and marshy areas which affects land drainage and the ecosystem.
9. Physical developments have preceded development of supporting infrastructure such as roads and drainage.
10. Blockage caused by debris trapped by grills installed across drains.
11. Landscaping on frontages which hinders discharge of storm water into the drain.
In his statement, Kidero warned that the Capital would continue to receive heavy downpour which might cause more havoc.
“The City will be subjected to increased incidents of flooding on the roads, destruction of properties, public open spaces and flooding of rivers which result in traffic congestion, inconvenience to residents and sometimes injuries and fatalities,” he stated.
Governor Kidero extended his condolences to families which lost relatives in Huruma estate where a six-storey building crumbled leading to demise of seven people.
Earlier on Friday, four people were killed when a wall collapsed as they were sheltering from the rain. During the incident, three more victims were rushed to hospital after sustaining injuries.
- 24 August 2019 - 10:44 pm
- 24 August 2019 - 7:55 pm
- 24 August 2019 - 7:31 pm
- 24 August 2019 - 7:04 pm
- 24 August 2019 - 6:23 pm
- 24 August 2019 - 4:58 pm
- 24 August 2019 - 4:45 pm
- 24 August 2019 - 4:15 pm
- 24 August 2019 - 3:27 pm
- 24 August 2019 - 3:31 pm
- 24 August 2019 - 2:30 pm
- 24 August 2019 - 1:58 pm