A fuel tanker lost control, crashing and bursting into flames along the busy Northern Corridor Road in Busia on Friday night, August 7, 2020.
The ensuing fire spread to three other trucks carrying goods, sparking off balls of fire.
Teso North Sub County Police Commander Wilson Muraya had an hectic time controlling the surging crowd.The scene of an accident where a tanker burst into flames in Busia on Friday, August 7, 2020File
Thirty minutes after the fire started, the county fire engine arrived and put out the flames.
The driver of the fuel tanker died in the inferno and his remains were pulled out of the vehicle by police officers.
Occupants of the other trucks escaped unhurt with witnesses saying that drivers and their turn boys took off to escape death.
Other cautious motorists on the road quickly reversed to avoid catching fire.
Eyewitnesses stated that the tanker lost control as it was trying to overlap.
The incident happened on the same day when another fuel tank rolled at Ikapolok, Malaba in Busia County near the Kenya-Uganda border.
Plans by the County Government of Busia to procure a fire engine for Malaba are already in the offing.
The county assembly has approved a budget of Ksh55 Million to purchase a modern fire engine.
The accidents could have resulted in huge catastrophe had residents been allowed to flood the scene to scoop some of the fuel that leaked out of the tankers.A fire engine at the scene of an accident where a tanker burst into flames in Busia on Friday, August 7, 2020
- Stance27 September 2020 - 5:20 pm
- out and about27 September 2020 - 5:07 pm
- Surge27 September 2020 - 3:59 pm
- Milestones27 September 2020 - 4:21 pm
- Expert Advice27 September 2020 - 2:43 pm
- Ranked27 September 2020 - 2:30 pm
- unveiled27 September 2020 - 2:16 pm
- Commendable27 September 2020 - 1:24 pm
- people power27 September 2020 - 11:34 am
- Costly Journey27 September 2020 - 11:37 am
- Outed27 September 2020 - 11:09 am
- battle27 September 2020 - 9:59 am